Friday, October 14, 2011

An imperfect monster cake for my perfect little monster


My son requested a monster cake for his 8th birthday that sent me scouring the interwebs for ideas. While searching we ran across this blog, and he had to have THAT cake. I made a few changes to the cake to make it my own.



 I did three 8-inch rounds. The top layer was funfetti, middle layer was strawberry and the bottom layer was chocolate. I used orange dyed buttercream frosting between each layer. I dyed all the frosting with Wilton's orange gel.



 Gave the cake a base layer in case the fur didn't cover in some spots. It didn't have to be perfect because it will be covered.


I didn't know how I was going to make the mouth so I bought Sugar Sheets and cut out a mouth and teeth.


I used the Wilton color mist food coloring spray to color the inside of the mouth black. It was a pain. It doesn't ever dry and remains tacky. Later in the day, I found out just how brittle it actually was. 


The mouth before I added the "fur". 


 I don't actually own any cake decorating tools, so I borrowed this from my neighbor—I have no idea what this tip is called.


I piped the fur from the bottom up with short strides up the side so the hair would overlap. Once it was time to ice the top, I started from the center and worked out in stripes.


For the cake balls, I used left overs from each layer and added in leftover frosting.


I didn't have a recipe so I kind of winged it, but they seemed to come out fine. You want them to be soft and firm at the same time because you're going to put a stick in them. You start with just a little frosting and add more as needed. Roll in your palms to get a perfect ball.


This was my first time to make and frost cake balls and I really had no idea what I was doing (the story of my life). The eyes weren't as smooth as I wanted, probably because I didn't melt the Wilton's Candy Melts well enough. The candy was white chocolate and I used the orange Wilton gel to dye them. The way they turned out would be perfect for a mummy cake.

 Once they cake pops cooled, I used a dab of white frosting to secure the candy eyeballs in place.


I was afraid to stick all the cake pops in before it was transported to the birthday party, so I only have this picture. I would suggest taking a picture of your completed cake before the party or you could end up with the problem below.


When I pulled the cake from the carrier, it caught the mouth and tore it. I took the birthday candle and shoved it into the tear. My kid thought it was cool, so no harm, no foul.


My cake balls didn't turn out smooth, I ripped the mouth, but it was tasty and it all worked out in the end. 


Everything is trial and error when you have done nothing like it before.

xx
Tyna

No comments:

Post a Comment